Saturday, September 16, 2006

Easy rider!

Challenge #1: Learn to ride a motorbike.

According to my job description I'm going to be riding around on two wheels when in placement. When I first found this out I thought great! - it's all part of the adventure, but as the reality of having to wear heavy duty gear, gloves and big black boots in 35degree heat plus a huge helmet on my usually curly head, the mini-adventure appeared a little less welcome.


Despite my reservations, my Speedway-style helmet arrived promptly in the post and I set off for my five day training course and thankfully came out the otherside unscathed! All thanks to my instructor who came complete with aviators (in the rain), stories of racing other bikers round the Paris périphérique and campaigning against deisel spillages on tight bends! If only I'd managed to get his picture.

So, the challenge now is to figure out how on earth I'm going to get the helmet on the plane! I suppose this is when the bag packing practice runs begin!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Woooow Sally-Anne! You look very cool in your biker gear!

I'm looking forward to visiting your blog over the year and keeping up to date with what you do. It looks super.

Best of luck,
Sophie x x

Anonymous said...

Hi Sally-Anne, it's Scar from the P&P group at Steyning Grammar School. I asked John Kentish how you were doing and he gave me the link to your blog... just wanted to wish you all the best with everything (and the biker gear does look very cool!)
Take care
Scar xx

Sally-Anne said...

Hi Scar

Thanks for your message. It's really great to hear from some of my old P&P groups - I miss them lots.

Be sure to check out another ex-P7P intern's webpages at positvelyzambia.wordpress.com Henry is also going to Chipata and his website is dedicated to building links between young people in Zambia and young campaigners in the UK.

Hope University is going well for you.

All the best
Sally-Anne