Monday, April 23, 2007

Putting HIV+ blood in the fridge WILL NOT cure AIDS

Last Friday I sat in on a group discussion that one of the peer educators had organised with a bunch of young people in his compound. They chose to focus their discussion on HIV & AIDS which initially I was a little disappointed about. The very fact that they’d chosen to take part in the discussion, I assumed, meant that they were more aware of the issues and possibly behaved more responsibly. Below are a few snippets of their discussion that demonstrate just how wrong I was.

The following questions were asked by two 20 year old male participants

Question asked during a discussion about the ways in which HIV can be transmitted: “If you were anaemic and your neighbour was a doctor and he wanted to get revenge on you they would give you a blood transfusion using blood infected with HIV?”

Answer given by peer educator and other participants: “All donated blood in Zambia is screened for HIV a minimum of three times. Only a qualified doctor at the hospital is allowed to give blood transfusions you should not get treatment for anaemia from your neighbour”

Apparently this young man’s concern was based on a real life situation that happened in 1995.

Question: “If donated blood is put in the fridge, will the ‘coldness’ kill the HIV”

Answer given by peer educator “There is no cure for HIV, putting blood in the fridge will not kill the Virus”

Question: “If you drink a bottle of Mosi (Zambian lager) before going for an HIV test will the HIV be undetectable”

Answer given by peer educator: “I’m not sure if having alcohol in your blood when you get tested for HIV means that the virus will be undetectable but most clinics won’t offer an HIV test if you are drink and THERE IS NO CURE FOR HIV”

Apparently some people also believe that if you wash yourself in beer after having unprotected sex the virus will be killed and you will avoid getting infected.

Question: About ten men a day are going to General Hospital to be circumcised becuase they believe this will either cure them from HIV or mean that they can't become infected. Is this true?

Answer: "THERE IS NO CURE FOR HIV. but...there have been studies doe that suggest that someone who is circumcised is at a lower risk of becomign infcted with HIV" Check out this bbc news story for more info. Although its an exciting development if we're not careful it could make matters worse, rumours have obviously already begun that circumcision is a cure and I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to make money out of such a believe leading to unclean practices.

The scariest one of them all: “The problem of HIV has become like sitting your grade twelve exams. We have been learning about the subject for many years now so those who fail the exam (i.e. fail to avoid infection) must be stupid. It follows that the Pandemic will separate the stupid from the not so stupid and be of benefit to Zambia and the Zambian people!”

Answer given by peer educator and other participants: “People may become infected with HIV through no fault of their own, through mother to child transmission, through blood transfusions, through sexual assault or through not having the power to choose to use protection during sex. This is a very dangerous attitude.”

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is hard to understand,
If they have been learning about HIV & Aids for so long, that they still don't undertand the many ways you can and can't get the virus.
now i understand why you get so fustrated.

love
MUM

Sally-Anne said...

The frustration goes even further - most people do know all the different ways that they can become infected with HIV and know the different ways they can protect tehmselves (e.g. condoms). But, much like the prevention of STIs in the UK, all this knowledge doiesn't translate into a change in behaviour -and that's what I'm supposed to be working on!

Anonymous said...

Hello fellow Volunteer. Thanks for bringing the realities to face to the world. You're very lucky to be working in an environment where HIV&AIDS is a reality to the people irrespective of their different perceptions...I suggest that you consult with our colleagues in Asia where it is still regarded immoral to talk about the pandemic and yet it is already eating away the population amidst being a high risk environment. Paul VSO South Africa.

mirabel james said...

I am mirabel james from New York. I was in trouble when doctor told me that I have been diagnosed with HIV... I though about my children and my husband, I know my children will face a serious problem when I'm gone, I lost hope and I wept all day, but one day I was surfing the internet I found Dr. Olufo contact number. I called him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I'm cured by Dr. Olufo herbal medicine, I'm very thankful to Dr. Olufo and very happy with my hubby and children. email him on drolufogreatman@gmail.com; or email me mirabeljames25@gmail.com, call him on +2348112000854, www.dr-olufo.webs.com
http://olufo-herbs-cure-hiv.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

mirabel james before people said there is no cure on HIV/AIDS but today many people have now believe that there is a cure.of HIV/AIDS can be cured through Africans root and harms,and days our great doctors have finally found the cure of HIV/AIDS, many have get cured with the help of a great spell caster known as dr olufo he is the one of the great spell doctor in Africa a...nd he has the cure on this disease HIV/AIDS. last month he share is Haber medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best spell caster in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this disease when the cure have already be found in 2011 the if you want to get in touch with him in private contact him on this e-mail drolufogreatman@gmail.com or call him +2348112000854

Unknown said...

Mirabel James mirabel james before people said there is no cure on HIV/AIDS but today many people have now believe that there is a cure.of HIV/AIDS can be cured through Africans root and harms,and days our great doctors have finally found the cure of HIV/AIDS, many have get cured with the help of a great spell caster known as dr olufo he is the one of the great spell doctor in Africa a...nd he has the cure on this disease HIV/AIDS. last month he share is Haber medicine in some medical hospital and now he is well recognize as one of the best spell caster in Africa, you don’t have to be sad any more or share your tears any more on this disease when the cure have already be found in 2011 the if you want to get in touch with him in private contact him on this e-mail drolufogreatman@gmail.com or call him +2348112000854

ruth robinson said...

Hello everyone I’m here to share a testimony on how my HIV was cure by a herbal doctor with the help of herbal medicine and herbal soap, As we all know medically, there is no solution or cure for HIV and the cost for Medication is very expensive. Someone introduced me to a man (Native Medical Practitioner) I showed the man all my Tests and Results and I told him i have already diagnosed with HIV and have spent thousands of dollars on medication. I said I will like to try him cause someone introduced me to him. He asked me sorts of questions and I answered him correctly. To cut the story short, He gave me some medicinal soaps and some herbs(have forgot the name he called them) and he thought me how am going to use them all. At first I was skeptical but I just gave it a try. I was on his Medication for 2 weeks and I used all the soaps and herbs according to his prescription. That he will finish the rest himself. And I called him 3 days after, I arrived and I told him what is the next thing he said, he has been expecting my call. He told me to visit my doctor for another test. Honestly speaking, i never believe all he was saying until after the test when my doctor mention the statement that am, HIV negative and the doctor started asking me how come about the cure, And I make a promise to dr osas that if I’m heal I will testify his good work in my life, if there is anyone out there who may need the help of dr osas you can email him via his email address drosasherbalhome@gmail.com For any type of sickness he can cure any disease WhatSAPP OR CALL him via his number +2349035428122 he also has herbal oil for Penis Enlargement HE CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:1. HIV/AIDS 2. HERPES 1/2 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B 6.chronic pancreatitis 7.Emphysema 8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease) 9.asthma 10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma 11. Diabates 12.CHRONIC PANCREATITIS 13. penis Enlargement Email him via drosasherbalhome@gmail.com WhatSapp number +2349035428122

Unknown said...

Dr Bello herbal cure is 100% Guarantee percent sure to cure your (HEPATITIS B AND ANY OTHER DISEASE) ,He is only person that i can boldly say he can cure any types of Disease.my wife was having HEPATITIS B for more than 5 year when i met Dr Bello online how and how he has cured so many people and how greatly he has helped many individuals online,so i contacted him and explained my wife situation to him and behold my wife was cure with his herbal medicine and now we are living happily, so to anyone issue on herpes challenges i advised that you contact him for help and he will send you the medication and you will be fine and OK : adeyemibello1990@gmail. com he can also cure any disease such as HIV/AIDS HEPATITIS B,DIABETICS,CANCER,HERPES E.T.C HE is the great herbalist man called Dr.Bello i must say a big thanks for curing my wife disease, i owe you in return. Thanks and be blessed sir.his Mobile number: 09035594773 or what’sapp him on 08107996445"

Unknown said...

Its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing
that happened to me last week on how i got my HIV aids cured, i have been
reading so-many post of some people who were cured of HIV, but i never
believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to
try dr.idedia then i contacted him on his email on
dr.idediatraditionalhealinghome@gmail.com when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, its a great success that he healed just as he promised, he
told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my HIV
status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my
status that i was HIV negative, i never thought possible that dr. idedia
can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a
little hope and faith and after everything but dr Idedia changed my
life and made me a true believer you can contact him on
dr.idediatraditionalhealinghome@gmail.com or whattsapp Number: +2349074505296
so he can help you out. he said that he is also specialize on the following diseases: HERPES, HIV, ALS, HPV, DIABETES, HEPATITIS B, CANCER,SICKLE CELL, VIRGINAL DRYNESS, And Bring Back Yours Ex back.